Don't fight against candida, build health.
Do you crave sugar or refined carbs? You may have Candida overgrowth. Candida is a fungus that is naturally occurring in the body, but when it over-grows, it can create serious health problems, including anxiety, depression, fatigue, brain fog, and muscle aches. But the main symptom of Candida overgrowth (aka CRC, Candida-related complex), is sugar and carb cravings. Candida itself can make you crave sugar, refined flour, and sweet fruits...the things Candida feeds on the most.
But resolving candida is not a mystery. Thousands of people have recovered from it, and you can too.
I have struggled greatly with sugar addiction and candida in this life, and the consequences on my health and mood have been serious. Consequently I read many books on sugar and candida and have become somewhat of an expert on it. The main way to beat candida is through dietary change, but lifestyle changes and nutritional supplements may also be essential. Here are my suggestions:
1. Make Your Plate 3/4 veggies, and 1/4 protein - probably my #1 solution to Candida. This is non-starchy veggies, and I suggest animal protein is best. This has the effect of stabilizing blood sugar, and with stable blood sugar, you will crave less, and you will have more stable moods and energy.
Each meal you eat should have some protein and fat. And if you eat some starch with your meat (yams, rice, oats...), keep it to a minimum, since that will greatly raise blood sugar in many people. Experiment with increasing fat instead, and I suggest focusing on coconut oil.
Some people will find that they will need to go off all grains, fruit, and even all beans, to get rid of candida. This is why I suggest making your plate 3/4 veg and 1/4 protein. You may need to eliminate all grains, beans and fruit for best results. I suggest eliminating things in stages...and then reintroduce them in stages later. But some people will feel so good that they will never go back to eating their old way.
2. Handle Any Related Issues - If you struggle with depression, you may need to focus directly on that, before you will be able to let go of sugar. Same with anxiety. Same if your home doesn't fit you. Same if you have been single for 20 years. Same if you don't make enough money.
Healing any health condition is about 50% diet, and 50% lifestyle. You need to bring any stressful problems in your life into a solution.
3. Some suggested foods that can help:
- Stevia flavoured pop - you can buy these now that are stevia sweetened, w/no sugar
- Sweet carrots - the thick, bright, sweet ones, not the cheap skinny ones. I will often eat them with some raw nuts. Have this on you already.
- Sweet herbal tea, like vanilla rooibos, licorice or cinnamon
- Mint oil in water (1-2 drops) can help reduce sugar cravings
- Green drinks. Alkalizes and is uplifting and supports detoxification.
- Green Tea - gives energy instead of getting it from sugar,
4. To Recover After Eating Sugar - neutralize acidity w raw kale, celery, and lots of water. Follow with a good meal and you will feel much better.
5. Your First Meal of the Day - can stabilize your blood sugar, reducing cravings for the morning at least. To stabilize blood sugar your meal or shake should have plenty of protein and good fats.
6. Broth Fasting - now and then skip a meal and do just broth. Go with chicken or veg, and go organic, since the cheap broths are sweetened with cane syrup.
7. Stay Warm - Candidiasis infection is a cold/damp internal state where your body is weakened. Don't weaken it further. Keep yourself warm and do warming foods.
8. Try Vaping CBD - some people find this makes them feel much better, calmer, and less depressed. You can now buy vapes (or drops) of CBD with no THC, so it will not make you high. CBD is calming, anti-inflammatory, and greatly reduces anxiety for many people. I sell Organic CBD at www.Hempworx.com/donovan.
9. When Craving Sugar - do 3 conscious breaths, deep and slow. Then think of the consequences if you eat the sugar...to your body, your sleep, and the things that matter most to you (your relationship, income, job, etc)
10. Active Form B-Complex - is a vitamin supplement that gives some people a real energy boost. B vitamins help us metabolize our food into energy.
I perceive 3 levels of addressing Candida, and you may need to go through all 3 before you find that Candida goes away for good:
1) Your own self-designed diet - this is the self-help approach. Usually this means a limited diet plus probiotics and anti-fungals. But after people go off the diet they often find candida returns, so they have to greatly limit sugars, fruit and carbs.
2) An online course or book. Here's a few I like:
Sherry Strong's Sweet Freedom
The Whole Journey's Candida Program
21 Day Sugar Detox Book
3) See an ND or Functional Medicine clinician for a work up of blood-tests, customized diet and supplement program. This is the most thorough approach, for full recovery.
But in my experience, learning to live wisely is at least as important as the diet, when it comes to beating candida.
We crave sugar when we are alone, depressed, or tired. We crave sugar when we are stressed. As you resolve problems in your life, bringing them into a desired state, and as you listen to your body and find *your* ideal diet, you will find that Candida has become a thing of the past, and that you are just, simply, healthy.