I suffered from severe anxiety for years. Anxiety and depression. And I tried sooo many things. I have also been in the wellness field for years - over 20 in fact, studying counselling, nutrition, energy medicines, NLP, and even meditation. Here's what I would tell someone who suffers from severe anxiety or depression:
1. Skip getting a fancy diagnosis. It doesn't necessarily equate to a solution, since it doesn't tell you whats GOING ON under the surface. Are you Vit D deficient? B12 deficient? Hypoglycemic? All of those and more can manifest as anxiety and depression.
2. Try Many Things with an Open Mind (anything you think might help) and Notice What It Does.
3. Read my article Three Levels of Nutrition, and begin improving your diet. Go all the way to level 3 if you have to: Seeing a functional medicine clinician or naturopath.
4. Definitely use Energy Medicines. Read these two articles: Intro to Bach Flower Remedies, and Intro to Homeopathy, and begin exploring these.
5. Definitely learn about and try CBD, and my Free CBD Short Course is a great place to start. CBD is a cannabinoid from hemp, and it has helped MANY people reduce anxiety and inflammation and sleep better. It is extremely good for you, having at least 8 major health benefits. It won't get you high if taken in moderate amounts.
These things above can make the biggest difference!
6. Become a Self-Healer. Because this process may take a while, and it's up to YOU, so don't give the responsibility for your healing to anyone else or you disempower yourself.
7. You may have to kick some addictions. Very likely. Watch for things like over-thinking, worrying, self-pity, sugar or even porn use. None of these will ruin your life if they are occasional - but do several of them in a day and you have a recipe for a weakened system, and emotional instability.
8. You may have to cultivate some new qualities, like gratitude, faith, or optimism. And this can be done, because they are habits of mind, too. Try keeping a gratitude journal for 21 days. Your entries don't have to be long. Practice noticing the good in your life, and the good you do too: "Today I told my sister she has beautiful hair, and she really brightened up".
9. You may have to change your relationships, taking space from some people.
10. You may need to GIVE yourself some things, like better lighting in your home, letting go of a career that stresses you out, or allowing yourself to do something that you love.
11. Your intuition is your greatest healing ally. You'll want to take a chance on it. Often. When you have a really good gut feeling about something, go for it! And when you have a bad feeling about something, pause.
12. Counselling can be nice, supportive and helpful, but I don't think it's the highest priority. Counselling is mostly talk, and if you have severe anxiety than you definitely have something biological, chemical, or energetic going on. Counselling didn't do much for me, personally, and I saw several counsellors. But if you're intuition is to go - then go. I recommend CBT or maybe ACT.
13. There is no therapy and no supplement that can replace learning life's lessons. Some of those lessons are: to trust your intuition, to track your money and plan financially, to speak up for yourself when it matters, and to value peace and health more than money.
14. For many people, healing will come more fully with more income. Focusing on developing a skill or building a home-based business may be key to your healing.
15. I recommend reading stories of people who reversed their anxiety or depression. You'll see, very clearly, that there is a WIDE variety of pathways to wellness. Everyone's solution is different, but it usually involves, in some way, changes to nutrition, lifestyle, or using energy medicines.
16. Avoid fanaticism, which is thinking, "I found it!!" "I found the one thing that will fix everything!!!" There is rarely just one solution that will fix everything. Especially if you have suffered for a while. The longer you have been unwell, the longer it will usually take to get fully well.
17. Recognize that self-healing is the most important thing you can do, and that on the other side isn't just calm, there's Confidence, Vitality, Calm, Clarity of Mind, Increased Effectiveness in the World, and even the possibility of Wisdom and Peace. Anxiety prevents all of those. First anxiety must go, so this is very important work.
When you heal yourself, you are healing the world!
Brainwave Optimization: Next Level Brain Healing
Keys to Healing Anxiety and Depression
Anxiety and Depression: What I've Found That Helps Me
Sugar is Public Enemy #1
Enjoyed this article? Subscribe and get my best in your inbox every 2 weeks!